Tuesday 12 November 2013

Field and Stream Revisited

The last time I was at Field and Stream was about 5 months ago when I reviewed the venue. I had such a great time back then that I decided that I had to head back there for a revisit! My wife and I invited some friends to tag along, and so on a wet and windy Friday afternoon we set sail for Dullstroom.


When we arrived on the farm we realised that the weather would not have a positive affect on the weekends fishing. The sky was overcast and the wind was picking up. We decided to grab our gear and head down to one of the dams before the storm arrived.


I decided to target opportunistic fish, and I landed a nice rainbow of about 1.4kg on a Peacock Woolly Bugger that I tied the previous evening. Lindie (our one friend) caught a nice fish with a Dave's Hopper and Edu our other friend caught a fat Rainbow on a Cactus Woolly Bugger.


After the sun set the weather turned for the worse and so we headed to our cottage and the comfort of the fire place. The next morning Edu and I got up at 05:00 AM and headed down to Meike's meer to hopefully catch some early morning feeding fish. I tried Buzzers and lost a fish, I then switched over to a Dragon on which I also lost a fish. I then caught a nice fish on an olive Slumbuster which I released into the cold highveld water.



We then were joined by Lindie and we headed to another dam called William's favourite where Lindie and I each caught a nice fish on Damsel patterns.




We then went back to the cottage for a lunch break after which we went to Matuka dam. Edu caught 2 fish, Lindie lost 1 and I caught 1 on a Papa Roach fly. Just before sunset the wind was again picking up and the cold settled in, we then decided to call it a day.


The next morning Edu and I again got up early and went to Meike's Mere for a quick morning sessions before we packed up. I caught one fish on Buzzers whilst it was feeding subsurface.


We had a great weekend despite the bad weather and we will surely return. I did not fish the river on this occasion due to the rain, but I will be back to target the wild fish in the river.


Here is a photo of the stomach contents of a Trout that Lindie caught and decided to keep.


1 x Bee
1 x Beetle
3 x Grasshoppers
5 x Dragonfly nymphs
1 x Caddis adult
1 x Minnow
1 x Beaded nymph fly pattern

© 2013 Hunter Hennie. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment